Sunday, October 26, 2008

Herbie Hancock, Maiden Voyage (Blue Note)


Who came first: Tony Williams, or the Ocean? A deceptive question, but think on it a bit. When the waves crash, do they not sound just like Tony's crash? Who or what is your point of reference? While you ponder, I will tell you a story: Once upon a time I washed up on an Honduran island. I don't remember too much about it, other than it being surrounded by barracudas and sea turtles, and swarming schools of tiny jellyfish. I do recall, however, walking back to my hut late one night after several Honduran beers. Alone on the beach, I dove into the water and the phosphorescent algae trailed my every movement. If you'd never been there you would find such an occurrence utterly fantastic or delusional. But if you have been there you could only recognize me as a realist of the imagination. As for me I saw fairy dust falling off my body with every twitch of my fingers, as if I were living through Disney's Peter Pan. I looked back to the shore and realized I had imagineered the closest replica to the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland that could possibly exist -- because, of course, I was in the Caribbean. Or put it this way: I'm not quite sure what's on this record, it could be jazz or it could be John Tesh. All I know is that when I put it on I turn into that crazy dude with the knife in Polanski's Knife in the Water. Because I'm on the water, right there with George Coleman and Ron Carter. And Krzysztof Komeda in absentia.

Now, you may return to your philosophical musings on Tony Williams and the Ocean.

Suggested Wine Pairing: Currents are merely saltwater rivers in the ocean. Should you be fortunate enough to share a casual day yachting over them (at least in your mind), think of our mutual friend Herbie and open a bottle of River Road Merlot, Sonoma County, 2004.

No comments: